Friday, April 25, 2008

Stupid Me!

So I know those of you who have kids, stupid is a garbage word, but that is the best word to describe this situation the other day. I was going for a walk with Brielle. Mike told me to take some water, so I reluctantly took 1/2 bottle of water. I told him I was only going for about a 30-40 minute walk and so I didn't think I would need water. I usually just walk around the church and through the neighborhoods, but I read Michelle's blog and she walked to Subway and back, which gave me confidence. I thought I could do that! So I did. Well I thought I was going to die on the way there (I know, I know I'm pathetic, but since I haven't really exercised for about a year you know how it goes). When I got to Geneva I was actually feeling good so I decided to go up Geneva a little bit. Then I saw the Jordan/Provo River Parkway. I thought I remembered someone telling me that there was a bridge or something that led into somewhere near our subdivision so I thought well I will just get off there. When I was on the parkway I found out that there was no little bridge and that I had to go all the way to Utah Lake. About half way on that trail I ran out of water. So I ended up walking all the way to Utah Lake and then back down Center Street and home. It was killer. To those of you who are very in shape and run that is probably no big deal, but to me it was hard! So my 30-40 minute walk turned into a 2 hour tortuous walk!! Luckily Brielle did great and there were no problems besides the fact that I thought my feet would never forgive me! Stupid me! Does anyone know how long that little stroll I took was?

4 comments:

Michelle said...

I think it's 5 miles, but you should ask Tara, she runs it all the time. It's 2 miles to Geneva road and back, and I imagine that loop is a lot more. Maybe it's more than 5. But good for you! Way to walk!

Jillian said...

I'm pretty sure it's 5 miles also. Way to go!

Kami Schultz said...

I can confirm from lots of experience that "the loop" is 5 miles. In case you're interested for future strolls, here's the breakdown and some other distances to know:

2830 W to Utah Lake = 1.5 miles
Provo Trail from Lake to Geneva = 2.5 miles (there is a .5, 1.5, 2, and 2.5 mile marker, if you're interested)
Bridge at Geneva to 2830 W = 1 mile
Geneva Rd to 2830 W = .75 miles
2830 W to the stoplight next to the freeway (by Chevron) = 1 mile

Someday I'm going to drive the road to the airport so that I can figure exactly how long that is, but I'm guess it's between 3 and 4 miles roundtrip.

And just FYI, there is a water fountain next to the trail by the bridge at Geneva--but it gets shut off during the winter. Not sure if it's running yet, but that might come in handy once the summer heat really sets in!

(Can you tell I've been on the trail once or twice? I know just about every inch of it by heart!)

Way to go! 5 miles--woohoo!

emlizalmo said...

Been there...done that. Hideous. I did it by mistake too. I'm figuring it must burn at least a cheeseburgers worth of calories, right?