Monday, August 10, 2009

Saga of pregnancy and my sweet, sweet husband.

So obviously I have not been feeling well lately. It makes me so happy when women feel really good when they are pregnant. I think it is so awesome when it happens, but unfortunately I am not one of those people. I feel sick 95% of the time and I have NO ambition to do ANYTHING. I can't think of anything to eat since NOTHING tastes good or sounds good. I have no energy to clean the house or do any work. I can barely get through the day taking care of Brielle. So how do you feed your kids when you cannot even think of a single thing to eat yourself that you can keep down? It is so hard for me to think of anything to feed her. Any ideas? How do you stop from feeling so incredibly lazy and so incompetent when you are pregnant? Of course I know that being pregnant is important and no one else can take care of this baby but me; however, I feel like other women can handle pregnancy so much better than I can and can actually do things when they are pregnant. How do you do it? How do you find ambition when you don't feel well?

My huband is so sweet. When he comes home, he cleans up and makes dinner for us. He is so loving and thoughtful and I cannot believe what a wonderful man I married. He knows I do not feel well and have no energy but still it has to be hard coming home after a long day to a dirty house with no dinner every night. I'm so sorry honey. We just celebrated our 7th anniversary the other day and it was so great to just be with him and have lunch and go to a movie. We have had 7 wonderful years. I am so blessed to be his wife. I am so lucky he takes such good care of us, especially when I'm pregnant and cannot seem to take care of myself. I love you Mike. Happy Anniversary!

9 comments:

Kemi said...

I used to tell myself "Five minutes, Kemi. Wash dishes for just five minutes, and then you can stop for a while."

It worked well for me, because I could rest better knowing I had accomplished something. If you do 10 or so of those five-minute spurts in a day, it's surprising how much you can do without feeling over-worked or guilty.

When it comes to feeding Brielle, if you make a menu for her lunchtime foods, all you have to do is check the list and pull out what's on it. Then you do all your thinking up front. My kids eat a lot of sandwiches during the summer, and I vary the contents-- PB & J, tuna, egg salad, grilled cheese, turkey, etc. They also like hot dogs in macaroni (ick!), quesedillas, cottage cheese and fruit/veggies, and pizza. Their favorite lunch is what they call "snack lunch", where I give them the fixings for a turkey sandwich on a plate and they eat it piece by piece. It's also fun to fill a cupcake tin with finger foods and make a lunch out of that.

Good luck!

Sarah said...

i feel exactly the same way when i'm pregnant! it's not so much fun! i did the same thing that kemi did, when pregnant with naomi. breakfast was pretty much a given - cereal or oatmeal - both easy and quick. i plan out my dinner menu, so i'd *try* making what i'd planned, even if it sounded horrible to me. (i have easy, quick, backups for dinner, though - like canned soup and grilled cheese sandwiches, canned chili and cornbread - things like that.) lunch was always the worst, though. you have to come up with something every day, and it just seems like one more meal to make! i made up a list of lunch choices, so i could just look at the list, and get something going before i had too much time to think about it.

one other thing that helped me was talking with friends, and other adults. i would get so tired and feel depressed that i wasn't getting anything done. the only thing that helped me get through that was having fun with my friends - even if a phone call was all i could manage that day. i also took a short nap every day. that helped me a lot. it also helped me to remember that my body was responsible for creating another life, and that takes a lot of work! I think my body deserved a rest every day

good luck!

Tamaran said...

Just read your news. CONGRATULATIONS! So excited for you. I have absolutely no advice for you. Jon did most of the cooking when I was pregnant. Right now we freeze dinner leftovers to have for lunch later. May or may not work. Good luck and you will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Melissa Yergensen said...

Oh man, I feel your pain. Scott cooked our dinners for the first three months and then the last month of both of my pregnancies! I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Of course it's usually things like pancakes and scrambled eggs but kids don't care! And then one time he tried to make Weinerschnitzel chili ... barf!!! You know what really helped with my nausea though? A Unisom at night, suggested by my doctor. I would always feel so much better in the mornings and hence throughout the day. Ask you dr first, just in case though.

cassy said...

Oh Shar! I'm so sorry.
Reading your post just reminded me of why I'm still not pregnant with #2!!! Some day soon I'll be in your shoes though.
You can do it. It is all worth it in the end!!!

With miya I was just as sick if not worse and Captain Crunch I learned tasted really good going in and coming out! Sour candy calmed the nausea. As for feeding Brielle, when the time comes, I will be asking you for advice so keep some notes!!!
I hope to see you friday. Feel better...think happy thoughts!

Teah said...

I'm sorry pregnancy has to be so hard on you. I can honestly say I don't know what you must be going through. It's not that being prego was easy for me, I was definately exausted most of the time, but I didn't throw up every time I at and that can zap your strength right there. I guess taking the meds pre-emptive didn't work then? Anyway good luck. Oh and I liked Kemi's idea of doing the list to feed Brielle. That takes all the think work out of it plus if you put little pictures on it then she will learn what they stand for and you can teach her to make choices by picking a picture of what she wants. Infact that sounds fun. Maybe I'll do that. Thanks Kemi!

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS! So excited for you. I have absolutely no advice for you.



___________________
Vince
Online Marketing of your brand

Kristi said...

I know exactly how you feel! It's how I felt when I was pregnant with Claire. Luke watched a record amount of TV for a 2 year old. Just plug through it and just remind yourself that it's just temporary - it won't last forever, and don't be too hard on yourself (easier said than done)! Let's make plans to get together - I'll talk to Kiel and then we'll set something up. I hope you feel better.

Kristi said...

And congratulations too!!!